Freud proposed five stages of personality development(also called psychosexual stages of development)
- Oral- Seen in a new born where the mouth is the primary pleasure seeking centre.
- Anal- anal area of the body becomes the focus of certain pleasurable feelings.
- Phallic- focus on genitals. Children realise the difference between males and females. Oedipus and Electra complex.
- Latency- child grows physically and energy is channelized into various activities.
- Genital - maturity attained in psychosexual development.
- Concepts of fixation and regression to be explained