Corrosion is the phenomenon in which the surface of the metals is corroded due to exposure to the air.
- Cathodic protection is one of the methods used to prevent corrosion.
- In this process, the metal to be protected is to be connected to a highly electropositive metal, such as Magnesium (Mg).
- Magnesium, being more electropositive acts as an anode and the metal to be protected as cathode.
- In this method, Magnesium prevents oxidation of the metal and protects the metal from Corrosion.
- Example: Cathodic protection is used to protect Iron from rusting.